4.19.2017

One Room Challenge 2017 Week Three: #workabletowonderful


Welcome to Abby Manchesky Interiors! I'm so glad you're here!



Today marks week three of the One Room Challenge; an online event dreamed up by Linda at Calling it Home & her partnership with House Beautiful Magazine

I don't love to do math in public, but I'm number savvy enough to know that week three means this is the halfway mark. Whaaaaaat! I still don't have a ceiling. No. Ceiling. 


HERE'S WHAT WENT DOWN

Our kitchen doesn't look very wonderful at the moment, but a lot has happened! First of all, tons of decisions were made. Interior design is like a puzzle. Every project has many moving parts that all impact each other. When you change one piece the others may not fit. So I start with the building blocks and make decisions from there. My kitchen/dining room is no different. 


First. let's start with a story! On Saturday, the day before Easter, my next door neighbors stopped by to give my boys a gift from their trip to Mexico. So sweet! While Robin was here I was showing her around our kitchen reno. She, like most of the tradesmen that had been through, asked if I was going to remove THE WALL. Yes, the wall with the Lulie Wallace print not only made traffic flow difficult, but it blocked off a significant portion of the kitchen. It was important to me for the view of the kitchen window wall to be symmetrical when you walk in the door. Plus, who doesn't want an open and airy space? 

Take note!
1) Notice how far the ceiling comes down and divides the kitchen from the dining room.
2) Notice how you can't see the whole kitchen and the walkway is tight next to the table.

Robin & Marshall removing the 1970's intercom 

Well, my neighbors volunteered to help me take the wall down right there and then! He had all the tools I didn't. And between the three of us, (mostly Marshall), we removed a portion of the wall and ceiling that divided the rooms. I kid you not; my husband left for the store and by the time he came home we had removed a wall. ;0) I am so thankful for amazing neighbors who were just on their way to buy groceries for Easter and instead helped me remove a wall! The electrician was coming and if ever the wall was going to be opened up, it was then or never.


That will forever be the Easter we took the wall down. Ha! That's West Michigan neighbors for you. Awesome. 

*I was able to find white floating shelves in the exact sizes I needed at Rejuvenation. My tile guy is going to install them and highly encouraged me to get brackets. So back to shopping! I found a few different sources that I really liked, but they were either back ordered or sold out. I came back to Rejuvenation and decided on these aged brass brackets that will hold my shelves. I love them because they are high quality, a bit fancy, and most importantly--they don't take up space on the wall. I specifically did not want any arcs under the shelves. I had to believe them to be beautiful because you will see them from the entry, dining, kitchen, hallway, and family room. They are important! For this reason I didn't mind investing.


*It's a long story, (that I shared on Insta Stories) but after finding the perfect granite, and someone to install it within the timeline, I woke at 4:30 in the morning and decided it wasn't a good idea. I just had that feeling in the pit of my stomach that changing the counters wasn't the right choice. I was going from one black granite to another and it was feeling a bit wasteful. I can change my mind in the future, but for now it didn't feel right and I'm trusting that. Bonus, saved us thousands of dollars, and the overall visual will be the same.



*The Dash & Albert dining room rug from Annie Selke and chair fabric arrived. I'm totally in love with them both. The fabric is from one of the ORC Sponsors-- Fabricut! I selected their Pier Strip in Black fabric because it's not only beautiful (requirement) but durable. This is not a once a year dining room, this is where we eat every meal. I need the chair upholstery to stand up to my two boys and lots of guests. Enter Sunbrella fabric, that is really an indoor/outdoor material. However, it feels luxe to the touch, not a plastic feel like you might imagine. The Terra Dove Grey Woven Rug was unrolled as soon as it arrived! It feels great underfoot, but is solid enough that it looks substantial. Extra bonus? It's reversible! I selected this pattern because I love a geometric and a stripe paired together. Also, the dining room is shaping up to be quite neutral. Annie Selke is known for the Dash & Albert rugs, so if you've never checked them out I recommend. Annie Selke is a sponsor of the ORC, but I've used their  rugs in many client projects and my opinions are my own. ;-) 

Black, gray, white, jute, high gloss, brass, rattan: the dining room will be 
a potpourri of neutral texture! 




*I decided on & ordered the main light for the dining room! It's the Selamat Deco Hanging Pendant. I really wanted a light that gave a more organic yet modern vibe. This is that! I think it's a perfect match with the table. Candelabra is a sponsor of the ORC and their lighting selection is killer. But more on lighting in a different post!


*The electrician came and worked his magic! This may not sound that exciting, but nothing could move forward until this happened. Can you see all the black wires on the top right of the above photo? They went all the way around the kitchen, and they were preventing the drywall from going straight up to the ceiling. If you remember, there was a very large bulkhead. And once we removed that, then we had to deal with what was inside. An angled pipe and wires were everywhere and he cleaned it all up. He also added new tiny pot lights over the future shelves. I had considered sconces, but once I found the lucite pendants I shared in week 2, I knew I wanted those to be the focus. The electrician was here on time, finished early, and cleaned up the six bags of insulation that fell from the ceiling. I'm working with VerPlank Electric. They aren't a sponsor, and I'm paying them cash money for their work, but if you need a wonderful electrician in Grand Rapids call David

RANT OF WHAT COMES NEXT

The drywall guy starts today, so there's hope! But once he is done, then the painter needs a whole week to finish the cabinet bases and the the walls. Then the tile backsplash can go in. THEN the electrician returns to install all the lighting, replace the plugs with white, and finish the tiny new can lights that will wash over the shelves. Once all of that is done I can start putting my kitchen back together and styling the shelves. I also would like to put another coat of paint on my buffet, that was my grandmother's. I'm swapping out the hardware for something a bit more fresh and modern in the dining room.

hallway by Daun Curry

Whew! That was a lot of words but there is so much going on. Please say a prayer that the drywall goes quickly because right now our kitchen is open to attic which is not cool. In fact it's gross. Let's wrap this up with one last decision I made! To have the dining room be glossy white. The walls will be in good shape after drywall and a little shine will do them good. 


Thank you so much for reading! Have you checked out the other designers? Oh my heart they are good. Such a diverse group with very different projects and visions. There's even another kitchen! I hope you stop by their sites and click through the projects below. 

In the meantime, the most fun way to stay up to date on the ORC is to follow me on instagram. I'm sharing updates daily on Insta Stories. It has been fun to hear from new readers.


Instagram | Pinterest | Facebook | abbyminteriors@gmail.com

20 comments:

  1. Eeee! I love this light choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! It was a tough choice!

      Delete
  2. Abby I am loving reading your updates every week!! I'm sure it feels super stressful and crazy right now but it's all coming together and all the decisions you're making for this space sound fantastic (and so real by the way - keeping your granite, and taking the wall down with your neighbors!!! Who by the way sound like a dream!) Can't wait to see more next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa,
      Thank you! I'm stressed, but feeling more confident that it will be finished on time. Here's hoping! Yes, I'm trying to be very real. ;-) Thanks for following along!! xo

      Delete
  3. Opening the wall was a brilliant idea & thank goodness for awesome neighbors! I was going to go with those Rejuvenation shelves too, they are such a beautiful option, and so in love with that Selamat pendant! So excited to see your design come together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jana! Looking forward to seeing your kitchen and which shelves you use. xo

      Delete
  4. Wow removing that wall made a HUGE difference in both spaces, good choice and what great neighbors. You are moving right along and looking good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, moving the wall changed everything. I"m thrilled with the results! I appreciate you following along. xo

      Delete
  5. Nail biting.....fingers crossed on that timeline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alana- Biting my nails right with you. I think it's going to be done on time pending any major snags! Thanks for following along! xo

      Delete
  6. You're getting closer!!!! Love seeing the progress and love the wider opening to the kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So close, yet so far away. Thanks friend! xo

      Delete
  7. way to move mountains and walls! and that light is INCREDIBLE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! I appreciate your support. xo

      Delete
  8. Goodness Abby, this is SUCH an ambitious ORC! Awesome decisions to enlarge that opening, that will make a huge difference! Hang in there, girl, you'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Either a brave or foolish venture. I guess we'll see! Thanks so much for joining me on this ride. :-)
      xo

      Delete
  9. I can't wait to see how it turns out...know it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have my fingers and toes crossed for you. Love all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the floating shelves and hardware! i am SO excited to see this reveal- it's going to be so unique, bold, and so you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful neighbors you have! I'm going to have to move to West Michigan now! I love the light fixture you chose, it will bring a light and airy feel to the space.

    Charlotte |http://www.maelmoderndecor.com/Default.asp

    ReplyDelete

Abby M. Interiors is a boutique design firm based in Grand Rapids, MI. Combining the new traditional, vintage and a dash of the unexpected is her ideal. Contact Abby M. Interiors for more information on available interior design services for clients near and far. abbyminteriors@gmail.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Follow by Email